COVID-19 response at 4D LABS - Updated August 11
This page will continually provide an update on 4D LABS' operations and how we are working to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
We are following the lead of SFU's administration and the local authorities. You can always find the latest updates on SFU's response here: https://www.sfu.ca/covid19
As SFU works on restarting academic research on campus, we have updated protocols for all users wishing to access 4D LABS or use our services. The following protocols are in place as of June 1, 2020:
- Anyone who is sick or has been sick within the last 10 days will not be allowed to enter 4D LABS, including staff. Guidance from local health authorities can over-ride this rule (e.g., doctor's clearance after negative test), but you must be approved by the Director.
- Everyone entering 4D LABS will need to complete a health screening form every day prior to entry. It asks about recent illnesses, travel history, and close contacts. Anyone who is identified to be at an elevated risk to having COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter 4D LABS, following the guidance of local health authorities. Symptoms include, but are not limited to, cough, fever, muscle aches, fatigue, sore throat, and headache. We will be tracking all approved users.
- Academic researchers are only permitted to access 4D LABS if they have shared with us an approved safe work plan from their institution.
- All individual labs have signage indicating the maximum occupancy to allow for physical distancing. In most spaces the maximum is 1. Exceptions may be made for training and troubleshooting by staff with appropriate PPE.
- Maintain physical distancing of 2 meters and give space to other people when moving through the hallways. The stairs inside 4D LABS from the 7000 level to the 6000 level is down only. The main atrium should be used to go upstairs.
- All personnel must wear non-medical masks in all common areas and while working in any labs shared with other people where distancing might not be maintained. Users may bring their own masks or purchase them from 4D LABS. During training, certified masks will be provided by 4D LABS.
- Wash hands when entering 4D LABS and frequently through the day. Sinks are preferable, but hand sanitizer is available in areas without sinks.
- Users must bring their own safety glasses, lab coats, and pens to 4D LABS. If face shields and acid aprons are required, they must be thoroughly sanitized before and after use.
- Guest Clean Room gowns are no longer be available for use. Please email our staff in advance if you need to rent or purchase a gown set.
- Staff are conducting daily surface cleaning in the facility. Users also need to clean their work stations before and after their work with our 70% ethanol spray bottles.
- For rooms with multiple tools, users need to check the booking site or contact the tool owner to make sure that no other tools in the room are booked during their planned session.
- Contract work is the strong preference for anyone not trained on tools. Training will be with prior approval by the Director only. Before giving approval, we will consider the expected length of work, if other members of your group are trained on the tool, the risk level associated with training on that specific tool, and the current situation in the province. Training is only permitted with one person at a time. Remote training and physically distant training will be done where possible. If in-person training is required and physical distancing is not possible, then gloves, safety glasses, and surgical masks with a minimum rating of class 1 will be provided and must be worn during training.
- No sitting to eat in the lunch room is permitted. Microwaves can be used but must be cleaned and sanitized before and after each use. Only 2 people are permitted in the kitchen at any time.
- No tours or unauthorized visitors are permitted in the facility.
We continue to have a rotating staff on-site and will adjust staffing levels as necessary.
Thank-you for your understanding and patience as we manage through this challenging situation.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
Stay safe and healthy everyone!
Director of Operations, 4D LABS